Cara & James
“Hey,” james said as he strolled in the kitchen.
“Goodmorning,” Cara said in a happy voice.
“Do we have any Coke left?”
“I don’t think so. Try looking in the back.”
“ookkk-aayyy.” he said as he stretched his arm to the back of the refrigerator.
“I’m glad you’re up. I thought you were going to sleep all day.” She said as she looked
out the window at the hot streets.
“Thought about it.”
“Well, since your up, I want to talk about moving again.”
“Not again, Car. After last night, I think we might as well just stay here. I know you
don’t want to move away from your family.” He said as he cracks open his Coke.
“But we need the money..” she said after a long pause.
“What do you want to do then?”
“I-I don’t know.. can we just think about it some more?”
“Yes, but you need to let me know what your thinking because I can’t have my
employers just waiting for my answer. I have to decide by monday.”
“Alright, just bare with me here. What are the pro’s and con’s of leaving for that job in
Tulsa?”
“Well, for the pro’s, I get to be head of a department. And we get much more money. It
would also be a new adventure for us... But for the cons,” he said after a little pause,
“ We have to leave our families behind, and the kids would need a new school.”
Cara started to sniffle, then James walked across the kitchen to comfort her.
“Hey now,” he said. “No crying. Either choice will be great, okay. I balanced out the
finances, and we’ll be fine if we stay. It’ll just be a little tight for awhile.”
“I’m done worrying about this,” She said as she tries to clear off her face and act as if
she hadn’t been crying. “I have to go meet with my mother for brunch and go pick up
the kids.”
He grabbed her hand as she was pulling away. He kissed her forehead softly. “It’ll all
be alright. I promise.”
Cara walked out the door.
“Damn,” He grumbled as the door closed, “I’m so tired of stressing about this.”
About a few seconds after he cursed himself, the phone rang.
“Hello?” he said.
“James?”
It was a familiar voice.
“Mr.Donaldson? I didn’t expect to hear from you today. How’s the office doing?”
“Great, great. I was just calling to let you know that a new position opened up.”
“For what, sir?” James said with a hint of excitement in his voice.
“It’s a branch assistant manager position, here in new york,” He said, “You wouldn’t be
making as much as you would in Tulsa, but it’s darn close. I’ll give you a little bit to
think about it, alright? See you on Monday!” as he rushed off the phone.
James starts leaping around the living room trying to contain his excitement as if he
were a little boy.
Suddenly, He hears keys in the door. Cara walks in.
“I forgot my purse...What on earth are you doing?” she says as she sees her husband
is leaping around all of her furniture.
“BABE!” he yells in happiness and runs over to her.
“What? what!?” she says franticly.
“I have some exciting news for you.”
“Well, what is it?”
“A new job opened up here in New York!”
“Thats not funny, James.”
“No, no! I’m serious! Mr.Donaldson just called! Baby, We’re staying here!”
“Oh my goodness! This is so great!” she said, hopping around just like her husband.
“Let me me get dressed and I’ll meet you downstairs. I’ll take you out for lunch, okay?”
“Alright darling. Oh, I’m so glad we don’t have to move!” she said excitedly as he
walks out of the room.
“Me too!” he yells from their bedroom.
She starts sifting through the mail, looking for something to do. She stops.
“Hey James?”
“Yes, Baby?”
“Have you checked the mail?”
On the top of their mail pile, was a big envelope. With the words “Eviction Notice”
written in bold, on the front.
Could've been longer and you could've added in a few details here and there. -Hannah Nitz
ReplyDeleteGood job, wasn't expecting the ending.
ReplyDeletePersonally, I thought the ending was pretty funny
ReplyDeleteGood but you should have added more detail
ReplyDeleteGood story. I didn't see the ending coming
ReplyDelete