Unexpected Occurrence
When I woke up, I couldn’t believe there was snow on the ground. I mean, just yesterday I was wearing shorts and a tank top. It’s the middle of July, so how on Earth could there be snow on the ground? I was so shocked, I ran downstairs and turned on the weather channel. If you know me, then you’d know that I, Troy Mack, don’t watch the weather channel. Ever.
The weather girl didn’t even know what was going on. I mean, don’t you get paid to know this stuff ? She said that it was going to be sunny with a temperature of ninety-five. I guess they hire anyone these days. I still couldn’t believe that there was snow in the middle of July. What did this mean? Was the world ending? What was going to happen now? All these questions puzzled my mind. Did I have the answers? That was a definite no.
I decided that I wasn’t going to just sit around and do nothing while this puzzling thing was happening. I went upstairs to my room to get my phone. I clicked on my best friend CeCe’s number. Maybe she would know what’s going on.
“CeCe?” I asked into the phone.
“Troy! What’s up.”
“Have you looked outside today?”
“No. Why?”
“Because there’s snow on the ground.”
“Are you pulling my leg?” She asked, with a hint of laughter in her voice.
“No. Just go look outside, then you’ll believe me.”
“Fine, but if you’re wrong, then ice-cream today is on you.”
I waited a few minutes so she can have time to look out the window. I couldn’t believe she hadn't seen it already. I mean, what was going on with everybody? Didn’t they see the two feet of snow outside? Wait, what if they couldn’t see it? What if I’m the only one who can?
“Oh my goodness! You weren’t kidding!” CeCe shouted into the phone.
“Ohhhh, now you believe me!” I exasperated.
“Well, what are we going to do?”
I thought about that for a minute and I really wanted to know if we were the only ones that could see it so I said, “ Do you know if anyone else can see the snow?”
“Why wouldn’t they?”
“Please can you just go ask your brother if he can see it.”
“Fine, what ever.”
I didn’t know what to expect. I was scared to know the answer to the question. What happens if I’m right? While I was waiting for her to respond, I decided that I would go down to the kitchen and get something to eat. When I’m nervous or worried, I always eat.
I got to the bottom of the stairs when I heard CeCe’s response. I couldn’t believe what I just heard. Something was seriously wrong. I knew it then and there that something bad was going to happen, for CeCe said, “I don’t know what is going on but Chris said he can only see grass. Troy, what’s happening?”
“I’m coming over,” was my only response.
On my way over people were looking at me weirdly because I had a winter jacket with gloves on. It’s not my fault they couldn’t see the snow and feel how cold it was out. I wouldn’t have wore the gloves, but decided to wear them when I stepped outside and the cold literally stung my skin. I also put a ski mask on to hide the skin on my face from the frigid air.
By the time I got to CeCe’s house, I was fed up with all the weird looks I was getting. Also, the air was getting colder by the hour. The cold air was so bad now that it was going through my many layers and softly brushing my skin. When I got inside, I went up to CeCe’s room. CeCe was laying on her bed with a worried look on her face. I laid down beside her and just looked at the ceiling. I intertwined our hands as a friendly gesture.
“It’s gonna be all right” I whispered.
CeCe turned over so she could look at me.
“How can you be sure?” she whispered back. “How can you explain to me that the only one’s that can see this is us?”
“I can’t explain that, but I do know that the air out side is very hazardous.” I explained.
She then noticed the burn marks that were on my hands before I put the gloves on. I hadn’t even realized they looked that bad. She held onto my hand tighter, as she looked at me with sad eyes. Then it came to me.
“Do you remember last Friday when we went to that old chinese restaurant?”
“Yea. Why?” she asked, confused.
“Well, remember when that old lady told us that we would be seeing some unexpected occurrences?”
“Yeah.....” she said, catching on to what I was proposing.
“I think she somehow knew what was going to happen,” I replied.
“I think we should go see her,” she implied.
By the time we got to the restaurant, we were freezing. The cold air had gotten five times worse. We walked inside and found the old lady. She looked around four foot five and had graying hair. She was probably in her late seventies, mid-eighties.
“Ma’am?” I walked up and asked
“Yes?” she looked at me and questioned.
“Do you remember us from a couple days ago?”
“How could I forget?” She smiled.
“Would, by any chance, do you know why we are the only ones who seem to see and feel snow outside?” I asked, kind of rudely.
“You two can see it because only you two can solve what is wrong.” She answered.
I looked at CeCe with a questioning look. She just looked back and shrugged, saying she had no idea what the old lady was saying.
“What do you mean?” I asked.
“Only you two can see the snow. Didn’t you wonder why only the two of you can see it?” She asked mischievously.
“Yeah, but we thought that was because we were the only two that were with you when you said what you did,” I explained.
“Oh, but you thought wrong, I guess,” she said disappointedly.
“Okay than, why are we the only ones who can see the snow?” CeCe questioned.
“I’ll tell you what, Troy, you have to give CeCe a kiss before everything can go back to normal. It can’t be any kiss,” she said, with a sparkle in her eye, “ it has to be a knee weakening, mouthwatering kind of kiss.”
Honestly, I didn’t know what to say about what she just asked. I’ve never really thought of CeCe that way, and by the way she was looking at me I could tell she’s thinking the same thing. I walked closer to CeCe.
“Do you want to do this?” I asked.
“Sure. If that’s all we have to do, then let’s get this over with.” she said.
I leaned in and the next thing I know, I was kissing my best friend in the whole entire world, and I wasn’t repulsed. I didn’t knew kissing her could feel like this. After what felt like ages, we finally broke apart. We looked at each other with confused looks. We were best friends but could we be more? Would we want to risk out friendship to find out? I didn’t know what to do.
We looked outside and the snow and cold air was gone. We looked to where the old lady had sat, to see that she was no longer there. I turned to CeCe and asked the most terrifying question I would ever have to ask.
“I don’t know if this is the right time but, will you be my girlfriend?” I asked.
Right before she answered, I heard this annoying buzzing sound. The next thing I know, I was sitting straight up in bed. It had all been a dream. How could it have all been a dream? It felt so real. Before I could contemplate it anymore, my phone started going off. It was CeCe’s number. I quickly answered it to hear her say, “ Hey, ready to see the movies today?”
All I could manage to say was, “Yes” and I hung up. Next time, I’m not going to stay up eating fortune cookies, I told myself, before getting up and starting my day.
I didn't really like what it lead up to and then didn't explain what was up with the snow.
ReplyDeleteI liked the title though
DeleteIt was ok a bit confusing but ok
Delete