Resolutions, Rabbit Holes, and Tornados.
My biggest fear was coming true. This person, who was practically my other half, was
leaving. Leaving and traveling across the world, as it felt; not being able to see me
again for another who knows how many years. Tears swelled in my eyes and I could
picture myself falling into my own rabbit hole. Falling into a nightmare that I wouldn’t be
able to escape...
Day 1 “Happy New Years!” Brianna and I both screamed at each
other. We were watching the countdown on TV and sipping apple cider from plastic
wine glasses her mom, Angie, had gotten us. It was fun. But, of course, Brianna and I
always had fun together. “I wonder if we’ll ever come up with any good resolutions,”
Brianna said.
“Maybe someday,” I replied, dryly.
Day 12
I walked into the high school at around 7:50 AM, like usual. First day back to school
since winter vacation. This was probably the worst day of the entire year.
since winter vacation. This was probably the worst day of the entire year.
“I always hate the first day back,” I said to Brianna as I sat across from her and
her boyfriend, Kenneth, at the lunch table.
her boyfriend, Kenneth, at the lunch table.
“Why?” “It’s like the school gives us a little taste of summer but then rips it away
from us and makes us come back to this place once again for another few months. It’s
like this every single year, Bri,” I complained. “Only one more semester, at least.
We have spring break, too, though!” she exclaimed, a little too excited. I wasn’t really
amused. I was over studying and working on homework, more than ready for summer
vacation this year. I frowned at the thought at getting back into routine for school this
semester.
The five-minute bell for school rang and the school scattered. Kids shuffling to their
classes, teachers standing around drinking their morning coffee, and the couples
having their “moments” since they won’t see each other for an entire class period.
The day passed on. Since it was only the first day back from vacation, it was all
basically introductions to what we should expect for the rest of the year. Very boring.
Day 27
Things were finally coming together again for everyone. School wasn’t as hectic and
everyone looked forward to the upcoming Spring weather. Today, after school, Brianna
was going to come over. We don’t get to see each other much at school because of
our schedule and we hadn’t been making plans together either because we were both
just way too busy. The last time we were with each other outside of school was
actually New Years Eve.
I waited in the commons after school for Brianna to come get me and tell me what
we were going to do.
“Hey!” Brianna smiled as she came up from behind me. “Hey,” I smiled back. “Do
you just want to follow me to my house tonight? It should be okay with my dad.” “I
haven’t asked my mom yet. We can just go to my house tonight. I don’t want her
freaking out that I’m not home,” she stated as her eyes rolled upwards. “That’s fine
with me. We could go get chinese food together too! Just like we use to,” I said, smiling
at the memories of all the time we’ve gone to get chinese food together. Too many
times, honestly. I watched Brianna’s lips quirk up into a smile too. “We’ll have to ask
my mom.” And with that she jokingly grabbed my car keys off the lunch table and ran
from me.
Day 28
Days like yesterday made me all kinds of happy. Brianna and I are practically
attached to the hips, so it was nice to finally be hanging out with my other half again.
Because of last night, my mood was brought up and I was ready for today. Everything
was going okay and Bri and I had plans again for tonight. Just like yesterday, I sat in
the commons and waited for Brianna.
“I have to go to my house real quick,” Brianna said as she walked towards me.
“That’s fine. I’ll just go to my house and wait for you to get there,” I replied, a little
annoyed. I honestly didn’t want to wait for Brianna to get to my house later.
“No, mom said she has something to tell the both us. Some family things she wants
us all to know,” she said. Her tone kind of worried me and I wondered what it could be
about. I tried not to worry myself too much though as I drove over to Brianna’s house.
When I got there, Brianna’s family was sitting in the living room. Waiting for the two of
us, I’m sure. Her older brothers and their girlfriend, her parents, and even her
grandparents were there. I got a nervous feeling in my stomach as I cautiously walked
in and sat down next to Bri on the wooden floor.
Brianna’s parents smiled at us all. Her mom opened her mouth a few times as if to
say something but then would close it and glance over at her husband, searching for
something she couldn’t find in his expression. A few brief moments passed and
Brianna’s grandparents spoke, rather than her mother.
“Kids, we’re moving to Colorado,” she spoke and everyone in the room stared at her.
Nobody knew what to say. What to feel. What to do. We were all speechless.
Day 37
Things started getting quiet between Brianna and I. It was a sad silence. We both
knew it was only Colorado and that it wasn’t a crazy distance away. But we were both
only sixteen and it’d be unrealistic for one of us to drive to the other. It was unrealistic
to ask our parents for that money, or even for money to get plane tickets to see each
other. Who knew when we’d be able to see each other once she moved.
Brianna and I sat with each other that day before school started and we both stared
and picked at invisible spots. We were equally as deep in thought. There was no doubt
in each of our minds that we loved the other like a sister. That was when I realized that
I didn’t have long with Brianna and I needed to make the most of our time together.
“Knock knock,” I said, the sides of my mouth slightly pulling upwards.
“Who’s there?” Brianna asked, confused. She looked up at me and I searched her
face for some sort of amusement or feeling. I couldn’t find anything.
“Hannah.” “Hannah, who?” She was still expressionless. I was nervous at this
point to tell my joke. It was an old one - one we use to tell each other all the time and
we’d always laugh because it was so stupid.
“Hannah Nitz,” I said, smiling. Brianna couldn’t help herself. She didn’t laugh, but her
lips pulled up the same way mine did and her eyes softened as she stared me.
“We’re overreacting, you know,” I stated.
“What do you mean?” Brianna’s confused expression returned, but she sat up and
leaned towards me, interested. The two of us together could take the school down with
our tornado of emotions today, honestly.
“We need to spend our time together wisely. We don’t have much time together, you
know? As cheesy as it is, we need to make the most of it all.” “I agree,” she replied.
She looked down at her arms and started picking at an imaginary spot once again.
Day 52
Although Brianna and I both agreed that we need to spend more time
together and stay close - we never did. We slowly began to drift apart day by day.
Eventually I started hanging out with other people and she became a wallflower; really
only spending time with her boyfriend anymore. But even they were drifting apart. It
was like Brianna didn’t want to even bother with any of us anymore. Nobody could
really blame her though. It’d be so long until she’d get a chance to see any of us again.
We all knew she’d move and make new friends while she slowly forgot about all of us
back home. It was a given. And her current boyfriend, Kenneth, knew that she’d be
introduced to a new boy by her new friends. He’d be forgotten too.
Day 67
Brianna and I rarely talked now and today was her last day here before she would
be moving. I missed her a lot and she hasn’t even moved yet. I tried to keep things
going for us but it was just too sad for the both of us.
Angie had invited me to dinner to come say goodbye to the family before they
moved the next morning. I doubt she knew her daughter and I didn’t hardly talk
anymore. Since it was my last night with the Brooks family, though, I decided to look a
little bit nicer and do my hair. I took my time driving over and old memories with all of
them came fondly back into my mind. Before I knew it, I was pulling into the driveway
and walking up the stone walkway.
I look at my reflection in the glass door for a bit and then gathered up the courage to
knock on the door. Brianna’s dad, Brian, opened it and welcomed me in. Stepping into
the entree way, I noticed all the same faces as the last time I was in here. The walls
were bare and boxes lined the back wall of the living room, replacing where the family
couch use to be. Glancing over to the dining area, they had pictures of family and
friends lined up on the dining table. I saw a picture of Brianna and I up there.
Everyone sat down and ate, talking about old memories and keeping in touch.
Brianna sat next to me and never said a word. Someone would talk to her every now
and then, and she’d glance up from her food only to fake a quick smile. Dinner was
soon over and Angie asked us all to stand in front of a tripod to get one last group
photo of us all.
Brianna still stood by my side as we all lined up in front of the camera. Angie set the
timer and quickly ran over to her husband to get into the picture. That was when it
really hit me. Tears swelled in my eyes as I produced a quick smile and glared into the
dark lens of the camera.
Day 68
I woke up earlier than usual that morning. Depressed from yesterday, I slowly got up
and dressed. I couldn’t stop thinking about Brianna and her family. I couldn’t stop
thinking about how last night was the last time I’ll see her for a while. While on my
way to school, I saw a moving truck. Knowing that Brianna didn’t live too far away from
a gas station, I quickly turned my car around in hopes that it’d stop at one and I’d get
one last chance to see Brianna and give her a big hug before she left. Half way to the
gas station, though, I realized how silly I was being. I pulled over to the side of the road
and turned my car off. I sat there and stared off into the distance as I watched the truck
slowly get smaller and smaller, eventually disappearing. It was gone and so was
Brianna. My biggest fear was coming true. This person, who was practically my other
half, was leaving. Leaving and traveling across the world, as it felt; not being able to
see me again for another who knows how many years. Tears swelled in my eyes and I
could picture myself falling into my own rabbit hole. Falling into a nightmare that I
wouldn’t be able to escape...
Day 293
“Hey,” Teagan said as she climbed into my car.
“Hey!” I smiled back.
“I’m starving. We should get chinese food before we go to the movies.”
“Okay,” I gasped. For the first time in months, I was reminded of Brianna.
“Something wrong?” Teagan asked while a worried look crossed her face. I gave her
a quick, reassuring smile and then started my car quickly. I was about to put my car
into drive when I heard a familiar buzzing sound of my phone vibrating. I looked at
Teagan and then reached into my bag to grab my phone quick.
“Who is it?” Teagan asked.
“Nobody,” I replied. I smiled and read the message again and then put my car into
drive to leave. It was Brianna. She had texted me and had said, “Hey. I miss you a lot.
I was thinking just now and I know what my resolution will be next year. It’s a good one
too, not a cruddy one that doesn’t make any sense. But I’m going to get a job to come
out to come see you all again. I’m going to save up the money myself. I hope to hear
from you soon. We have a lot to catch up on.”
A really touching story that shows what it's like to drift away from a friend, only to be brought back to them later.
ReplyDeleteReally realistic, good job! I liked it
ReplyDelete