Vacation
Waking up that morning I never would have thought my fun vacation trip would
turn out like this. My summer would be one to remember. One I would never forget. It
was a typical morning at camp in Colorado.
“Time to get up,” said our leaders, “you guys need to get up for breakfast.” We
rolled out of bed and got ready like we had every other day earlier in the week. We were
pretty used to it by now. We all started talking about what we thought was going to
happen today. We had done fun stuff every day so far and we were getting anxious on
what the surprise for the day was. Since we never get told what we are doing that day it
is always a surprise.
We got down to breakfast and we sat in our usual spot. We were sitting there
eating our breakfast when they started to do the normal stage act that they do every
time we eat. They said some jokes and made us laugh with there skits, we were all
about jumping out of our skin while we where waiting, listening to them talk to see if they
were going to give us any clues about what we were going to do today.
“Make sure you guys wear shoes that are comfortable and meet out side we are
going to walk up to the top of the mountain,” exclaimed the camp leaders! We had
finally known what we were going to do. The group starts talking around me and trying
to decide what group we wanted to go in group A was the slower group and group B
was the faster group that left a little earlier. My friends and I started chatting and
decided we were going to go in the slower one so we could stop and take pictures and
not have to feel like we are being rushed. We all looked at each other and started
running back to our cabin so that we could get ready since we had to leave in fifteen
minutes.
“That was a horrible decision to run,” said Heather. We all started laughing even
though we are gasping for air. It took us a minute to catch our breath since we werenʼt
use to the higher elevation of Colorado. After laughing at each other not being able to
breathe we got our stuff and hurried down to the meeting place.
As we stood there waiting to start I looked around at the group. There wasnʼt a lot
of people in this group, but I kept looking.
“Oh my gosh!! I think that is the guy from last night,” I said to Heather.
“What guy from last night?”
“The guy that accidentally hit me in the back of the head last night when we
where in the club room!” We kept walking
“What was your least favorite part about last night Heather,” I asked?
“Probably all the people. How about you?”
“Mine was probably getting hit!” I said just to see if it was actually that same guy
in front of me. He turned around!
“Iʼm so sorry,” he said.
“Itʼs alright that actually wasnʼt the worst part of my night I just wanted to see if
that was actually you in front of me.” We both started laughing we talked and talked
getting to know each other, pretty good. We became good friends we acted like we had
known each other for years even though we had only known each other a couple of
minutes.
“Make sure you watch her she is kinda clumsy and falls a lot,” yells Heather from
behind.
“Thatʼs alright I wonʼt let her fall,” he said. We continued talking and having a
good time. I had already tripped several times and I was surprised he had caught me
every time. I knew I wasnʼt known for being coordinated and he was starting to realize
this. He didnʼt seem to care he kept making fun of me, but never let anything happen.
We had been walking for a good hour by now and I was getting tired, but I was trying
not to let him see so he didnʼt think I was a wimp.
“Ok we are going to stop right here and take a few minutes to rest,” yelled the
leader. So we stopped where we were and walked over to the steep side of the
mountain looking down on what we had already climbed. We started talking about how
far down it was and how quickly it dropped. Then this kid started walking in front of us
and slid we both quickly grabbed each arm and pulled him up before he slid down. We
helped the little kid up and we made sure he was ok and he walked away like nothing
happened when all the sudden, I feel someone run into the back of me. I can feel my
feet sliding beneath me and I realize I am going over the edge! The worst things are
popping into my mind and I begin to freak out. My eyes are starting to water and I am
realizing that I am going to get severally hurt. I began to feel this my stomach tightening.
Then I realize that the guy I have been talking to this entire time, Grant, had his arms
around me and was trying to hold me and keep me from falling all the way before it was
to late! He had grabbed me just in time. I didnʼt realize what I was doing but the next
thing I know he was looking into my eyes as I was shaking and he still had his arms
around me. At first it was like I couldnʼt talk. I finally managed to choke out a few words.
“Iʼm fine,” I whispered as I am still shaking in his arms.
“I thought you were going to die,” he started saying, “why would you do that?”
“I didnʼt mean to someone pushed me!” He started looking around at who had
done it but he couldnʼt figure it out.
“Are you sure you are okay,” Grant asked?
“Iʼm fine.”
“Alright but for the rest of the hike you are walking up on the inside of me!”
“Fine.” We began walking again and he moved me to the other side of him so I
wasnʼt near the edge anymore and he had his arm right next to mine and every time I
tripped over the slightest thing he grabbed my arm to make sure I was alright.
“I really thought you where going to fall,” he turned to me and said. “I would of felt
horrible.”
“It wouldnʼt of been your fault and you saved my life and I will never forget that.”
“Ya I did and I will not forget that either.” We talked the rest of the day and
decided to go swimming after we got back. We talked ever day after that until the sad
day when camp ended and we had to say goodbye! We gave each other a hug and said
we would stay in touch.
After we got back home. I thought about that moment when he was there for me
and how we became good friends from just one accidental moment when he hit me in
the back of the head. And how this one moment lead to us being close friends and
talking every now and then. Even though we know we will never see each other again.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Give your classmate a warm fuzzy comment...